Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Giving things time...

I got a really good piece of advice from a girl that I'm happy to call a friend. I'm not sure if using names is appropriate, but she told me that I should "put a little more of myself into my writing." She didn't mean to lay all of my business out there, just that if I explained how I came to my thoughts and conclusions, it would help people connect with me and connect a little better. (I know this is was a run on sentence, but it's my blog and it felt good) This is some of the best insight that I've gotten on the actual content of the blog (btw thank you for the few words of encouragement I have received.) so naturally, I took a break. I figured right now is a good a time as any to give it a crack.

I was having a conversation someone I'll just call "a friend". Regardless of who I'm talking about these persons will always be given that simple description unless I feel it's necessary. I've taken a lot from this person over the length of time that I've known her. One of the most important thing she's taught me is that I should be patient. She has never vocalized this, but she leads by example. She's never in a rush to do anything except get her work done, takes things day by day and generally is accepting of what comes her way. I recognized this in her from the beginning of our friendship and have tried to follow suit.

If there is one thing that I'm good at, it's brainstorming. This is a gift in that it's helped me work through so many problems for myself and for others, and a curse in that its never ending. I couldn't turn my mind off if I tried at times. Recently, I was talking to this friend and finally noticed something she is always indirectly pointing out, that I always seem to be in a rush nothing can ever happen soon enough when we talk. I'm always rushing through things like I'm trying to make other things happen sooner and in some in our conversation it finally clicked. If I'm always looking to the next thing, how can I enjoy right now? Even if the thing I'm looking forward to is the next thing, if I'm not patient about it, it isn't going to make it happen any sooner. So in an instance where I'm typically saying "when?" I was finally at a place where I knew it was going to happen, so I should be happy knowing that...and if it doesn't happen as soon as want, or at all for that matter, there's plenty of life still going on. I'm not really sure if I did a very good job of filling in the spaces with that post, but these are my thoughts...just give me some time to fine tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment