So, I from time to time get the pleasure of playing therapist with many of my friends. Not to say that I'm doing anything special. People that are going through things will talk to anyone willing to listen, it's just how people are. I do hope that on some level I do a better job at listening and helping with productive than anyone else. It's just the person I strive to be, if I should strive to be anything. You'd be amazed at how sometimes just listening to someone talk, no matter how long it takes or what is said, can help a person work through their problems without saying a word. Other times, it takes a definite skill to be objective and give feed back that is in the person's best interest. Helpful feed back, be good or bad, isn't always easy to come by. My gift? Maybe. Maybe not.
In the last two weeks I've shared time with various friends and family, talked about things and analyzed life situations. In every one of those situations I came up with this same general thought: "You can only sweep so much dirt under the rug for so long. Eventually, the rug will start blocking the door." What I mean by that is that we all have problems. In many ways our problems are different individually, but the same on a greater scale. You've never been through something in life that someone else hasn't already experienced. You're not special, not in that right. When we have problems that effect other areas of our lives, they are not worth putting off. There is no reason you shouldn't do today, what can be done today. You never know how passing on the opportunity to rectify something can snowball into other areas, creating chaos...unnecessary chaos. When one part of your life is out of whack, take a step back and look at everyone going on in your life. It could seem like you have fifty problems all going on at once, but if you look closely, it might just be one problem seething it's way into other areas.
If you see a problem, make it better...otherwise, nothing else will be better as a result. Happy New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment