Today a man approached me in the parking lot at the grocery store. He gave me a sob story about how he was out here looking for jobs and got stranded with his daughter. I was gonna blow him off until I noticed his daughter only had a shirt and a blanket. He was trying to get gas to drive back to Spanaway...go figure. I told him I had some things to do but if I came out and he was there, I'd give him a couple dollars. I finished up my shopping and headed outside, but didn't see the guy anywhere. As I was pulling out, I noticed him across the lot and drove over to him. When I rolled down my window and realized it was me, he had the most genuine look of relief I've seen in a long time. He walked over and thanked me as his daughter is literally screaming "yay!". I told him it wasn't much and replied that it didn't even matter, it was appreciated. Sometimes people really do just need a "little" help.
You can't always take things at face value, even though instinctually, it feels like the right thing to do. Sometimes, you just need to have a little faith in people. I'd rather assume everyone has good in them and wait for them to prove me wrong, than to assume that everyone is out for self. Keeping hold of that mind is a slow and difficult transition, but I keep pushing forward. You have to give a little love to someone for them to realize than good things can happen for them. In a world of self gratifiers, what better way to get a little boost of confidence than to do something good for someone. Sure it's vain, all good deeds are in some way, but there are much, much worse ways to feed our egos. I'll take productive vanity over any other kind. Make someone happy and in turn, make yourself happy too.
None of us are going to change the world, but we can change someone's world for a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment