There are some of us who look into a mirror and see greatness. A few of us don't bother to look into the mirror at all, because we're happy with who we are. I belong to a group that look into that same mirror and see never ending possibility. I'm never satisfied with where I'm at in life. I'm learning to enjoy the moments in life as they are happening and it is a splendid thing. When I see myself though...I only see room for improvement. I can be better, I can do better. Some would say that you can't truly love yourself if you're not happy with who you are. I say that you can be happy with where you are going, but you should never settle when you can do better.
This topic came to mind because I was having a conversation with a friend that complimented on how driven I am. My first thought was that anyone that truly knows me, might say that I haven't sought out my full potential yet, so I instantly criticized myself. Their response was that I had already done so much in my life, that my accomplishments so far were impressive already. After a moment of thinking about that comment and reflecting on my short lived adulthood...I really have done a lot. So, I think that what I'm trying to get at is that we need to look at the whole picture when we are trying to define success...being rich financially doesn't equate to being rich in life. I got my reminder today....and I still have plenty of time.
Take a second to look at your achievements, the stories you've created, the family you've been lucky enough to grow from a child with and the children you have made yourself...if you have had that joy. Look at these things and think. "Even if I'm not exactly where I want to be, right now in a particular aspect of my life, has the rest been good?" If you can say yes, you're still winning...and if you can't, maybe change some things and see what you can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment